What was that?


I was sitting in the "Factory" in Harpenden, England a couple weeks ago and at one point I looked up and really had to think about what I saw. As I looked across the table tops I saw that they were covered with PCs and PowerBooks, and I had to ask myself if I knew where I was? It wasn't because I have been doing so much traveling, but it was because the world is now a different place- not bad just different! I realized I was right where I needed to be. I was in the middle of a communications conference/workshop. Though the workshop may have been different then others I have taken part in, I knew I had to be there. At some point this all hit me, what we were doing there, when someone asked for a pen and paper and 3 of us sat on some couch, holding our PowerBooks and PC's but not able to lend a pen- it hit me then, that we as a group of people gathering together to try to improve communications in our organization were NOT staying out of the current flow of where the world is taking us... we were right in there, in fact we are on the front lines. We realize that everybody is communicating something- EVERYBODY! And we are a group that want to communicate the TRUTH to the world, effectively, creatively, and professionally! So though we couldn't find a pen anywhere, I found the values that lie just underneath all striving and hard work of communicating. Then I knew I was in the right place, though I don't consider myself a great communicator I realize there is no time like the present to improve and just try! The work shop was very educational for me... but at the same time that we were inside with our computers and really getting down to work, there were times when we could go out and enjoy nature around us. I stole one of those times to slip into the woods and stumbled upon a patch of "Bluebells" as I think they are called. Beautiful, little, protected flowers just scattered all across the floor of the dark woods. Some patches of sun were beaming through even the thick canopy of leaves above and gave me enough light to see that even these flowers were communicating. They don't need computers and the internet to communicate... they were simply there doing what they were supposed to do... growing, spreading, and showing God's glory. They have no mouth to lift up a voice with, and yet that afternoon I heard them screaming of God's glory from their dark place on the earth. I saw in these simple yet beautiful and magnificent flowers a form of communication that I must not forget... the form of communication that needs no electricity, that needs no cables that needs no paper... it's communication that comes from just being. So as I continue to learn from these little flowers, to just communicate with who I am, I will also go forth in communications with all that is at our disposal and I hope only join in with the "Bluebells" and sing together of God's glory and hope to communicate HIM to this world which is so in need of a little Light of a little Truth that will make all the difference!

1 comment:

Chris said...

I think you underestimate your communication abilities, my friend! Well said!

Yes, the bluebells were a very nice retreat from the techno-madness. I'm glad I went, as well.